DRM (Digital Rights Management) is an important tool for premium and private content. The need for enforcing content license terms and for ensuring control over content monetization is of major concern when coming to provide an online media service that is available in an over-the-top / multi-platform environment. To help clients delivery to these multiple devices Kaltura has enhanced its native application developer tools ( SDKs ) for iOS and Android to support secured delivery.
Significant attention and effort must be invested to make sure that content is protected for preventing unauthorized content distribution and enforcing corporate and educational viewing licenses.
Kaltura provides multiple layers of content security: from a strictly secured infrastructure, through secured API sessions, a robust set of conditional access controls and multiple secured content delivery options. The addition of DRM technology to this security stack enables maximum protection of content by encrypting media assets, and by relying on a per-session license for playback. Playback is enabled only upon receiving this dedicated license which can be obtained only as part of a controlled environment through pre-defined rules.
Kaltura’s video platform is integrated today with Google Widevine’s DRM technology for content protection and with a near-term plan to enable a multi-DRM service as part of its video platform.
Kaltura’s integrated DRM service enables:
- Media Encryption as an integral part of the content ingestion process.
- License protected playback flow from multiple devices.
- Integrating with standard policy setting, license issuing flows and client-side protections provided by the DRM technology provider.
- Utilizing Kaltura’s Access Controls as an out-of-the-box authorization system integrated within the DRM license issuing flow.
- Enabling service-specific business logic for authorizing user/content entitlements as part of the DRM license issuing flow through Kaltura Access Control’s authorized session (KS) validation.
- Integrated Content Management – Encrypted content is seamlessly managed along-side with non-encrypted content from the same KMC account.
More details on Kaltura’s integrated service for DRM with Google Widevine are provided in this article on Kaltura’s Knowledge Center
In addition to the out-of-the-box support for DRM protected playback in PC environments using flash and the widevine extension, Kaltura recently introduced DRM support to its mobile reference applications and SDKs. These enhancements enable developers to secure content in the iOS and Android platforms. These tools have been integrated with the kaltura reference apps for easy integration into your native app projects. Here Eliza and Josh share how to get DRM up and running for iOS.